Sunday, August 23, 2009

Locked and Loaded

Against my wise daughter's advice I am leaving a blog message tonight.

Yes, it's finally started! The 2009 Iron Butt Rally, which I have dreamed about and planned for well over a year, is underway. We had a long riders meeting this afternoon, then dinner, then the bonus packs were handed out. The theme this year is Crime Scenes. Every bonus location is the scene of something either notorious, grisly, or just plain stupid. I am trying not to pay attention to Higdon's interesting descriptions of each crime, and just focus on what's required to earn the bonus. Maybe later the descriptions will make for good reading.

My first bonus, which most likely everyone will go to, is the BMW factory close to Spartanburg. It's worth a significant 666 bonus points. BMW's "crime" is that they stopped making reliable motorcycles. From there I will head south to Pensacola, FL, and then wind my way back north through the mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee. There is a tasty set of bonii in Ohio, close to Pittsburgh, PA. Then I'll head west on I-80 into Chicago. There is a series of bonuses in town that are small but will add up. Hopefully I can execute it all and still have plenty of time to rest at the checkpoint. I think it is a conservative route.

Last reminder: If any of this is ever posted publicly I will be disqualified and never allowed to enter another IBR. It doesn't matter how it gets out, I will be held responsible.

Final odo check tomorrow at 0830. Departure at 1000 sharp.

Nighty night.

No comments: