Thursday, August 20, 2009

In Spartanburg

The ride here was very nice. I started last night from Des Moines around 7:00 PM, and stopped for the night in Hannibal, MO. That ride was 242 miles. Today I left bright and early so that I could get through St. Louis before rush hour, and wound up crossing the Mississipi right around sunrise. I found myself going through Metropolis, IL, and stopped for a picture of the giant Superman statue. I rode the interstates for awhile, then took a detour through the Tennessee back roads, including the famous Tail Of The Dragon, also known as Deal's Gap. This road is billed as 318 curves in 11 miles. It was a lot of fun, better than I expected. Also the roads in and out of that area were also quite nice. I got to the rally hotel at about 8 PM, and went down to the bar to hang out with my rally buddies. Mileage was 821. I was in Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

Tomorrow is an off day, which I will spend fixing what needs fixing on my bike. My aux fuel cell is not filling the main tank. I suspect a pinched fuel line that was a side effect from the electrical repair in Des Moines. It's an easy fix. I have some replacement parts being delivered tomorrow to fix the flaky comm system too. Everything should be ship shape by the end of the day. Saturday I plan to be downstairs early to get a jump on the required rally check in procedures, which will probably take all day.

My fried stator. The black wires used to be blue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad to know you are doing all right.

Debbie said...

Good luck with all the repairs.

doug said...

Following along from SoCal.