Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Gotta keep up with the Joneses

Fellow Spankster Matt Watkins, the other blogger, has already posted twice. Son of a biscuit eater, I'm behind already! So let's see...what is there to say? I'm in Omaha, gotten checked in to my room and to the rally, just finished the odometer ride, and now there's not much to do but wait for 2:00. At that time George is giving us the electronic waypoints so that everyone can get all the GPS rigamarole out of the way. Dinner is at five, and then the bonus sheets drop. Good fun!

On the ODO run I rode with a woman named Margaret. Her GS looks like it has some miles on it, and she's got insignia from Alaska on there...so I ask her at a red light, "Are you from Alaska?" She says in a wonderful accent, "No mate, I'm from Australia. I've been over here for awhile. Rode down to South America, then Prudhoe, then Key West. I've never done this kind of thing before! (meaning an organized rally)" All I can say is Wow. I want Margaret to be my new best friend. Yeah I've had some success in some 24 hour rallies, but no way have I ridden anything like this woman has. She's never ridden a rally but she's damn sure ridden some great miles. After this week she'll be ready for the IBR.

I also spotted Heidi Still and Maura Gatensby. Great to see the solo women representin'. Tom and Rosie are the only couple (I think.) It didn't take them long to get back on the road after their BMW let them down in Nevada.

I caught up with the usual suspects, met people I've only emailed with before, had greetings passed to me from Milwaukee. It's always great to spar and joke around with Meese. I'm gonna kick his ass on this rally!

No comments: