Monday, June 02, 2008

I won!

Not the rally, silly. The High Mileage award. I managed to ride over 1800 miles and finished a middling 17th. The rally itself was a 32 hour game of Scrabble. We were given a list of 250 words to spell. To spell the words we would take pictures of the city limits signs of any town we could find. We could use any of the letters in the city names (one letter per town) to spell the words. The highest scoring words used Q, Z, X, so those were the places to go after.When I get back home I'll write up something more substantial. In the meantime I'll leave you with my favorite photo, and a couple of maps of my ride. You can see all my photos here.




My Leg 1 was about 800 miles. Highlights were the non-existent town of Flux, Utah (which is in the Gazetter and my GPS, but not in reality.) I also picked up a cow pattie in Utah and carried it the rest of the rally.



At the checkpoint I tossed horseshoes and won the letter J and a blank letter to be used wherever I needed. My Leg 2 was over 1000 miles. I have many great memories of this ride but the highlight is the fact that I banged out a Saddlesore after already riding 800 miles in the first leg. In hindsight this was not the most efficient route. But I went into the rally wanting to ride hard, and I certainly accomplished that.

No comments: